Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Suicide Prevention

Suicide is a problem not spoken of enough and in light of the recent suicide of Robin Williams I feel compelled to share my own struggles.  I wish everyone dealing with depression and feelings of suicide would share how they are feeling with someone before it's too late.

I have delt with depression so much of my life I find it hard to find a time in my life when this wasn't an issue for me.  I feel so deeply saddened by Robin Williams' passing that it is really hard to find the words to express my greif.  But I am most saddened by the fact that he wasn't able to conqure his battle with depression and chose in the end to take his own life.

When depression gets to the point that you feel you can't go on living it is easy to think that your only option is to end your life.  And this is depression's greatest goal, to get you alone without anyone there to talk to. And in that moment the demon that is depression takes over and seeks to trick you into thinking you have only one way out, that no one understands, that you are all alone.  These feelings have plagued my mind many times, and thankfully I have continued to win the battles of depression.

I have never come to the point where I was acting on a plan to end my life, but I have thought about how to end my suffering.  What stops me everytime is Jesus using the people in my life to help bring me out of the pit I am in.  It is so hard to believe the words people say to me to try and lift me up. My mind will begin to spin and spin with so many thoughts that I can't sort them out. It is almost like I am a fly trapped in a spiders web and the spider is wrapping me up tighter and tighter in his web and I am helpless to free myself.  But then the light shines down upon me and the words of hope people say to me begin free me from my bonds, and I start to see the sun's ray of hope.

Depression is a real illness, and fortunatly there is hope and treatment available.  If you find that you need someone to talk too, and there is no one around please call 1-800-273-TALK  National suicide prevention lifeline.

Please go get help! Find someone to talk to and get help! And please remember that you don't need to feel ashamed of your feelings, because there is always one who will  never judge you and that is Jesus Christ.  And if you need to take an antidepressant that doesnt mean you dont have enough faith or strength to make it. Because it takes strength to ask for help, and Jesus provided men with the ability to make these meds to help people. I need Jesus and I need my meds and there is nothing wrong with that. 

I am going to leave you with the words in John 3:16-17

16  “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
 17  “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment